Welcome to Ryan and Sky's Blog!

Welcome to our blog. This blog was setup to follow our son's, Ryan, journey to receiving a service dog.



Ryan is 10 years old and has cerebral palsy which makes his leg muscles very tight and difficult to walk. He uses forearm crutches for short distances and an electric wheelchair for longer distances.



Tasks that are easy for a typical child such as opening a door or picking up an item off the floor can be very difficult for Ryan.



We applied for a service dog for Ryan in April 2008. He was partnered with a female black lab named Sky in August of 2011.



Please join us in our journey with Ryan and Sky!



















Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New cues!



Hoping everyone had a wonderful holiday season!

It went by too fast! We took advantage of the time off school to work on some new cues and practice old ones.

The neatest thing we taught Sky was "Get help" and "Show me". Ryan will give the cue "Get help" and Sky will search until she finds me and then "bump" me with her nose to alert me. I, in turn, give her the cue "Show me" and she takes me back to Ryan. It's pretty cool.

This will be so helpful for us. Ryan has a very quiet voice and I often can not hear him when he calls me especially if he is on a different floor of the house. Mark tends to be his voice and will call "Mom! Ryan needs you!" (I have no problem hearing Mark when he yells!).

Sky currently finds me on the first floor and in the basement. We need to expand to the 2nd floor and finally when Ryan is outside.

The other new thing she is doing is pulling off Ryan's socks. She does a great job and it is not the easiest because Ryan wears knee hi socks with his leg braces. It takes a bit more effort to pull them off than typical socks.

Sky attends physical & occupational therapy every week with Ryan. Her "job" is often picking up things for Ryan. He will throw bean bags or some other object & she retrieves them for him. The other neat thing is that she often distracts Ryan when he is doing something difficult or painful in therapy. He doesn't complain as much because she is there with him & he is focused on her.

Ryan is also learning to use Sky when he needs help. As I'm typing this, he just called Sky to come pick up a dropped item in the bathroom. Yesterday while traveling to therapy, Ryan dropped his book and immediately asked me to pick it up for him. Ryan thinks I am an octopus and can reach anything in a full size van even while driving! I told him to have Sky get it for him which she did without any problems. He then proceeded to drop it another three times. Poor Sky!

I feel like I'm always saying this, but they are really learning to work together as a team. I can't emphasize the "team" part enough. Having a service dog is not easy. There is a lot to learn and the responsiblity of always having a dog with you is huge. But the rewards are great. I am so proud of both of them for how far they have come and what they have accomplished thus far.

1 comment:

  1. Love hearing about all the new ways the two are learning to work together. I can't wait to hear about the next one!!
    Sarah S.

    ReplyDelete